I admit that I just can’t get enough of St Joan of Arc. She just seems to be such an awesome saint in so many ways! The medal above is one of my favorites of her, but I really love all the ones of her that I’ve collected.
Here are some of the reasons I think she’s so amazing:
- Heard heavenly voices from not just one saint, but three: St Michael the archangel, St Margaret of Antioch, and St Catherine of Alexandria.
- Picked the king of France, Charles VII, out of a crowd without ever having seen him before! (Nice try to trick our Saint, Charles, nice try….)
- Led an army at the age of 16. (I was lucky to get my drivers license at 16.)
Wore pants before it was allowed. (Just because she could.)
- Had her own set of armor! (Useful for every girl who does battle.)
- Had her own battle flag. At her trial for heresy she said “I loved my banner forty times better than my sword. And when I went against my enemy, I carried my banner myself, lest I kill any. I have never killed a man.” (Some days I need a battle flag.)
- Gave as good as she got from the judge at her trial in Rouen. So good that they ultimately they could only sentenced her to death on the charge of wearing men’s clothes instead of anything relating directly to heresy! (Strange but true!)
- She totally rocked the pageboy haircut.
These are just a few of the reasons that I not only think of St Joan as the patron of France and soldiers, but of cool girls and strong women. Please chime in with your comment if you agree!